Two recent John Leonard Press poetry books have been nominated by the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority, among a short list, for choice of poetry texts for VCE Literature 2015:
• Young Poets: An Australian Anthology, ed. John Leonard (Dec. 2011)
• Cumulus – Collected Poems, Robert Gray (Oct. 2012).
• Upcoming 2014 titles: Paul Magee’s Stone Postcard and Jacinta Le Plastrier’s The Book of Skins.
• Robert Gray’s Cumulus also recently received the 2013 Western Australian Premier’s Poetry Book Award.
• Recently Published, Sept 2013: Kevin Brophy’s Walking,: New & Selected Poems
ISBN: 978-0-9808523-7-387 • 204 pp. pbk • RRP: 29.95
• Obituary: Father Peter Steele SJ
With great sadness, we record that Peter Steele died on June 27, 2012. He was an outstanding presence throughout his live as a priest, a university teacher, a writer of criticism and a poet. John Leonard Press published three of his last volumes: White Knight with Beebox: New and Selected Poems; The Gossip and the Wine, and Braiding the Voices: Essays in Poetry. This last was published two weeks before Peter died. He was able to read it through and enjoy it.
A number of Peter’s poems from the two poetry books are reproduced in the Poems section of this website.
• Obituary: Aileen Kelly
We note with great sadness the death of Aileen Kelly in October 2011. She was an extraordinary poet, and an extraordinary teacher, and a friend to the best standards in poetry. JLP published The Passion Paintings: Poems 1986-2006 in 2006. This was nearly a full collection of her work to that point. She left a sheaf of further work as yet unpublished.
A number of Aileen’s poems from The Passion Paintings are reproduced on this website.
An obituary by Catherine Bateson, and three favourite Kelly poems chosen by Petra White, can be read at solongbulletin.tumblr.com (So Long Bulletin)